The Senior Project Manager is responsible for leading and facilitating all activities performed by the project team throughout the project life cycle. This individual is overall accountable for the execution of the project and will ensure that projects meet the client's requirements, and that they are completed on time, within budget and to the required quality.
- Works with BA to ensure that projects meet requirements as specified by the client, and that they are completed on time, within budget, and to the required quality.
- Utilizes PNI's practices and standards to develop and manage project charters, project plans and task assignments for all team resources, also specifying client commitments. Contributes to the evolution of project documentation and processes.
- Maintains status reports, meeting minutes and other project documentation throughout the project duration, ensure it is written in a clear and concise manner.
- Ensures there is a high level of project visibility communicated to project stakeholders to help guide key strategic decision making.
- Is capable to gather requirements and document them for analysis, estimation, design and QA.
- Works with the team to create estimates, determine timelines and perform technical assessments for the project in the initiation stage. Identifies ways to meet company objectives in a timely fashion.
- Works with the team to review project status, identify project tasks and dependencies and focus on the highest priority items.
- Identifies, communicates and removes barriers as related to projects and processes.
- Interfaces with key project stakeholders, including the client, Account Managers, Business Analysts, Product Managers, Lead Developers and Enterprise Architects.
- Works with main project stakeholders to obtain Go/No Go decisions for all project phases. Is influential in making these decisions.
- Works with Release team to plan releases and all related activities, provides information to the release team required for production system update
- Manages project close-off and hand-off to maintenance. Has strong analytical skills for tracking hour estimates versus actuals.
- Determines priorities between projects when managing more than one project. Confident managing multiple projects.
- Conducts risk analysis and maintains risk management documentation. Proactive in identifying risks and sharing mitigation plans.
- Determines necessity for gap analysis on new initiatives or at-risk projects. Facilitate gap analysis process.
- Manages change request process from initiation through to impact analysis and implementation.
- Organizes daily scrums and facilitates a scrum format that builds strong team communication and collaboration.
- Defines, maintains and modifies project workflow and utilizes PM tools as-required to accommodate project / team needs and assist in decision making.
- Maintains burn-down chart and communicates status to the team daily and stakeholders as required.
- Sprint Planning: Facilitates sprint planning sessions and ensures team ownership and involvement in the process. Empower the team to make commitments and self-assign tasks required to achieve goals.
- Sprint Review: Facilitates sprint reviews, demos and retrospectives and ensures team ownership and involvement in the process. Proactively incorporates suggestions to create an environment of continuous improvement.
- Promotes collaboration and communication between team members.
- Supports and works closely with product owner/ BA during sprint planning, sprint review, backlog refinement, removal of impediments, communications etc.
- Ensures that the team/ organization are familiar with the scrum process and importance of each procedure.
- Ensures transparency and traceability to the team and stakeholders of the process and sprint / project progress.
- Provides individuals and their managers with accurate and timely feedback and coaching for performance improvement.
- Organizes and facilitates internal meetings with project team and other team members. Liaises with different departments for resource booking and information gathering.
- Has strong meeting facilitation skills and achieves desired meeting results.
- Fosters environment conducive to team empowerment and creativity.
- Motivates team members. Provide feedback on performance successes and room for improvement to managers.
- Resolves or facilitates resolution of conflicts.
Professional development, mentorship, other
- Pursues opportunities for improving existing PNI procedures related to project planning execution and closing.
- Participates in the selection of tools and methods for managing projects.
- Mentors junior project managers.
- Assists with Lead Project Manager or Client Delivery Manager with various initiatives as requested.
- Continually educates themselves in project management discipline and trends.
- Reports to Client Delivery Manager the project status.
- Escalates to Lead Project Manager and/or Client Delivery Manager critical project issues as they arise (any time).
- Reports to Account Manager (and a client) and various internal departments project status as defined in project communication plan (weekly, upon request).
- Reports to Client Delivery Manager resource utilization for the projects and submits resource requests if required to bring the project on track. Communicates this request with analytical data.
- Escalates to Client Delivery Manager when there're conflicting priorities between multiple projects.
Experience and Skills Required:
- 7+ years of Project Management experience with minimum 2 year experience managing large projects.
- True believer in the Agile principles and values with previous experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working on projects with various teams and departments, not only immediate team.
- Experience working with off-shore developers, to ensure quality of work and timely delivery.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the proven ability to effectively communicate with clients and partners, and across the different levels of the organization.
- Understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Exceptional planning, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Strong motivational and team building skills.
- Excellent time management and project tracking skills.
- PMP or CSM certification is an asset.
- Experience with Project Management tools such as JIRA.